Sleep is one of the most important things we can do for our health, particularly for our physical and mental wellbeing. Sleep is the time in which our bodies go into a state of repair and rejuvenation to do all the necessary functions our body can not do while we are awake.
Sleep is a sacred word in my household at the moment with a new baby but so it should always be. You never truly appreciate all those long, peaceful nights sleeps until you go through sleep deprivation as a Mama or experience bouts of insomnia like I had in the past. Some of the amazing and healing benefits of getting 8-10 hours sleep every night include-
- Reduces inflammation levels in the body
- Lowers stress levels
- Manages weight
- Regulates appetite
- Helps with depression
- Regulates hormones
While we are sleeping, we are also processing any new information we have learnt during that day which is integrated with what we already know. While we are in a deep sleep, our dreams can also be a way for us to explore subconscious thoughts to come up with solutions in our waking lives.
Here are a few ideas how to get a restful night’s beauty sleep. These ideas have come from my own experience of going through insomnia as well as having my first baby and going through sleep deprivation.
- CREATE A PEACEFUL ENVIRONMENT- One thing that helped me sleep more soundly was creating an environment that made me feel like sleeping. If your bedroom is cluttered or unclean, this can affect the quality of your sleep. Invest in some good quality cotton sheets and wash them regularly. Imagine your bedroom is a 5 star hotel room, how does that look and feel to you? It may be worth decorating your bedroom so it reflects that relaxing holiday feeling to instill a sense of calm and serenity. It’s also helpful to block out any light and noise so you reduce your chance of waking through the night.
- BRING NATURE INSIDE- Bringing some of Nature into your bedroom can create a healing environment. Himaylan salt lamps are great air purifiers and create a warm glow for a relaxing night sleep. You can also bring some plants that have air purifying properties like Peace Lily’s. Since buying a Himalayan salt lamp, I have noticed a difference in the quality of sleep for both me and my little girl. It definitely creates a nice atmosphere to encourage sleep and I’m able to easily check on her through the night without turning on any bright lights.
- CREATE A RELAXING NIGHT RITUAL- Do something each night for yourself that helps you to unwind and let your body know that you are preparing to sleep. A warm bath or shower with essential oils is a perfect way to start the repairing process your body is about to enter and calms your mind before bed making it easier to drift off to sleep.
- PICK UP A BOOK- Instead of scrolling through Instagram right before bed, swap your phone for a book instead. The bright light from our phones can not only hurt our eyes and interfere with our melatonin levels which regulate our sleep, but it can also send our minds into overdrive and overwhelm trying to process the hundreds of words and images we see right before sleeping. I find reading a book or magazine more relaxing as I am focusing on one source without the stimulating artificial light and find I drift off into a more peaceful sleep. Relaxing music is one of the things that has definitely helped me relax and get to sleep in the past as well, especially when I suffered from insomnia. I have a few sleep playlists that I listen to on my Ipod.
- CONSISTENT BEDTIME- This one can be trickier as adults but trying to go to bed at a regular time each night definitely ensures that you are getting enough sleep every night. It’s about prioritizing your sleep and your health to be able to be more productive the next day. Sometimes we will have events on where we stay up late or have to rise a bit earlier than usual, but as long as we try and maintain consistency on the other nights, our bodies will start to get into a better pattern and we will find it easier to get to sleep.
Some other ideas that have helped me that are definitely worth a mention are
- Chamomile tea- This amazing herbal tea eases insomnia thanks to it’s natural sedative effect and can even decrease anxiety levels. Drinking herbal teas are one of my favourite ways to unwind as well when I’m feeling stressed or anxious.
- Journalling- This can clear your mind before bed so you can fall asleep easier and free your mind of racing thoughts. Putting pen to paper creates distance from any thoughts, good and bad that may be stopping you from sleeping.
- Eye masks- Using either one with essential oils or a gel mask are both amazing at relaxing facial muscles and soothing the eye area which can help you drift off to sleep. Essential oils like lavender and ylang ylang are great as they promote relaxation and work on a cellular level restoring the body. You can even sprinkle some on your pillow before you go to bed.
Thank you so much for reading and I hope these ideas help you get a more restful nights sleep as it is so essential for your health and wellbeing. I’d love to hear your thoughts or what has worked for you to get your sacred beauty sleep.
Love & light,
Mel- Green Living Goddess x